[linux-dvb] Re: Lifetime timer

Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:

> On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 11:22:17PM +0200, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
> > >
> > > First i would suggest to drop one of the fields. (Lifetime ist absolutly
> > > useless in my eyes (OK. I'm biased as i move the recording immediatly from
> > > the 2 DVB-Computer to my "workstation" and archive the "interesting" ones
> > > to CD-R. I have a total capacity of nearly 200GB and hardly more than 20GB
> > > is used at every given point in time.))
> >
> > I believe that both fields add useful functionality and don't want to drop
> > either of them. Somehow I like the idea of being able to set a guranteed
> > lifetime, no matter what else might happen.
>
> I don't think so. In my eyes the "lifetime" is useless.

Well, other postings on this list show that there _are_ people out there
who consider the Lifetime parameter useful. I suggest I make the previously
mentioned changes (once I finally manage to complete the NAPI adaptation)
and then you can simply set Lifetime=0 and forget that paramater.

> > > Then you only have ONE Value for chosing "priority" (And you should use
> > > the middle of "50" for default priority and not the highest possibel
> > > value)
> >
> > You're right, I'll do that.
>
> If i remeber correct i suggested that earlier. Maybe you just "overread"
> it. :-)

As you may have noticed during the past few months I have spent most of my
free time working on this API transition.
I have quite a few topics on my TODO list, which all have to wait until
VDR runs stable with the new API.

> The first time i hear that the priority-field has any meaning after
> recording.

>From VDR's 'MANUAL' file:

             started in case there are two or more timers with the exact same
             start time. The first timer in the list with the highest Priority
             will be used. This value is also stored with the recording and is
      --->   later used to decide which recording to remove from disk in order
      --->   to free space for a new recording. If the disk is full and a new
             recording needs more space, an existing recording with the lowest
             Priority (and which has exceeded its guaranteed Lifetime) will be
             removed. If all available DVB cards are currently occupied, a
             timer with a higher priority will interrupt the timer with the
             lowest priority in order to start recording.

> What does VDR currently do when no lifetime counter is "finished" and
> there is not enough disc-space?

"Guaranteed lifetime" means exactly what it says: a recording that hasn't
exceeded its guaranteed lifetime yet will _not_ be deleted. As I said before,
using the value Lifetime=0 to disable the lifetime feature can change this,
once VDR recognizes this.

> Lets say that there is an existing recording with "00:99"(Or "01:99") and
> the "new" timer is 99:99
>
> If i see it correctly then the new timer would "lose".

Given that the existing recording is not older than 99 days, yes.

> > If you set Lifetime = [1..98] the recording would get that guaranteed
> > lifetime, and the special value of 99 would mean "unlimited" lifetime.
> > Adding new Setup parameters for the default lifetime and priority would
> > complete this.
>
> The "Unix-Way" of unlimited is "0"! (Just "think" that it is "100")
>
> Thats another point you should change. The lowest Prio should be "01" and
> not "00". "00" Should be "highest" (Yes i know, for the most people thats
> "non intuitive", but for "Unixers" the current case is "non intuitive"!)

I don't think this is a good idea. I think it is more straightforward to
use low numbers for low priority and high ones for high priority.

Klaus