[linux-dvb] Re: AW: VDR 0.80pre8, current CVS OSD problems

On Wednesday 30 May 2001 16:55, Ralph Metzler wrote:

> Andreas Poethke writes:
>  > i did not use OSD at all, and so i would prefer to use the additional
>  > memory for other usefull things, like better quality TS out of
>  > /dev/ost/dvr or whatever, instead of leaving them unused.
>
> This changes nothing about the quality of the TS.
> I can only take the ES/PES streams from the video and audio buffers
> and convert them back to a TS in the driver. As long as I can get
> the complete streams (which is not a problem right now) buffer size
> won't change anything.
>
> The question is only if I give the video buffer its memory back to
> better handle extreme streams.
> I also check the playback with original TSs from a budget card and
> there are the same problems with audio underflows if the video buffer
> is too small.

the only thing i expect from the driver's dvr interface is, to give me a
recording of  an arbitrary dvb event and the oportunity to play back this
recording. this is the purpose of an digital video recorder interface. if i
can't rely on this, its hard to imagine that someone will accept it for every
day use. i can't say which amount of video buffer is needed for that.

Andreas Poethke.