[linux-dvb] Re: AW: VDR 0.80pre8, current CVS OSD problems

Andreas Poethke writes:
 > On Wednesday 30 May 2001 15:02, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
 >
 > > Having no OSD during playback would rob VDR of many of its valuable
 > > features! So I wouldn't want that to happen.
 >
 > i thought, the discussion is not "OSD or no OSD". as i understand ralph,
 > there will be / is a compile or module parameter, which keeps OSD Memory as
 > it is.

I am still watching this discussion a little bit before deciding ...

 > i did not use OSD at all, and so i would prefer to use the additional memory
 > for other usefull things, like better quality TS out of /dev/ost/dvr or
 > whatever, instead of leaving them unused.

This changes nothing about the quality of the TS.
I can only take the ES/PES streams from the video and audio buffers
and convert them back to a TS in the driver. As long as I can get
the complete streams (which is not a problem right now) buffer size
won't change anything.

The question is only if I give the video buffer its memory back to
better handle extreme streams.
I also check the playback with original TSs from a budget card and
there are the same problems with audio underflows if the video buffer
is too small.

Ralph