[linux-dvb] Re: AW: VDR 0.80pre8, current CVS OSD problems

Klaus Schmidinger writes:
 > > What about deleting the OSDText-ioctl and all the memory (assumingly) used
 > > by character tables or similar things. This function is not used by VDR, and
 > > is not very useful at all (mainly because it's slow and impossible to get an
 > > information where the cursor is after written something to the screen).
 >
 > I don't know the internals of these, but I would assume that the text fonts
 > are not stored in RAM. But in case they are: I'd also like to see them dropped ;-)
 > VDR doesn't need them at all.

The fonts are stored in DRAM. The OSD, MPEG2 decoder and the video
buffer have to be in SDRAM.
Most of the 2MB SDRAM is used by the MPEG2 decoder for decoded pictures
and other data (like buffering B-frames).
The rest is needed for the video and audio buffer.
OSD normally goes into the optional extra 2MB SDRAM, which is not
present on this card.
Freeing up DRAM will not give us any more space for OSD.

Ralph