[linux-dvb] DVB user-defined descriptors

Dave Chapman writes:
 > I've been examining the various descriptors broadcast in the service
 > information by various networks on various satellites.  My only references
 > are ISO-13818-1 (the MPEG standard) and EN 300 468 (the DVB-SI standard).
 > According to those references, a lot of the descriptors I am finding are
 > listed as "user defined".
 >
 > Is there any documentation available on these?  Are there any other standards
 > that define descriptors apart from the two I mention?
 >
 > An example is descriptor 0xc5 - this is easily interpreted and contains an id
 > number and channel name for Canal Satellite radio stations on (e.g.) Astra
 > 19E.  These differ to normal Radio Stations because they are all transmitted
 > as part of the same service - in effect multiple audio channels.  This
 > descriptor is listed as "user-defined" in EN 300 468 - is it defined in any
 > public standards document?

I don't think there is a general answer for this.
Some "user-defined" or "private" descriptors or parts of them are
probably defined in no public document, others might be.
There are many more public standard documents available from ETSI
describing Teletext, IP/MPE, CA, etc.

Ralph