[linux-dvb] Re: software decoding of crypted channels ?

You are all wondering why I removed my web site ?

That it because when I created it, I was not aware of the consequences of
developing a CAM in open source for the DVB-S.
If we have a working CAM, even if it needs a smartcard reader and an
official subscriber smartcard, the next step will be a complete
smartcardemulator. And if such an emulator exists in public, what will be
the reaction of the various actors involved in this industry ?

If the smartcards were secure, then we should only have to care about the
licences problems.
But several CA systems are completely unsecure (Mediaguard, Viaccess,
Irdeto and perhaps others). Then, it would be very easy to replace the
routines that exchange data with the smartcard by others that emulate the
smartcard.

This is a threat for the Linux DVB project : what will happen if it is
widely used for illegaly watching programs with no subscription ?
 The driver developers are working for Convergence, which is a member of
the Linux TV Alliance.
 I don't think they are totally free. Will they be allowed to continue the
development of the driver ?

I know that I can't stop the files I have released, and since I released
them under the GPL license, there is nothing I can do against their
propagation. Fortunately, those files are not working.
But I wouldn't like that people create a "mirror" of my web site.

Henri