[linux-dvb] Re: software decoding of crypted channels ?

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Axel Gruber wrote:

> I agree to this !
>
> Please stop this discussion or transfer it to another BOARD/Mailinglist... - this is the wrong place for it.

I agree on this too. Just post here where the discussion is gone to.

> Please dont understand me wrong - itīs possible to use a Card-REader
> to geht the DATA from your own card - but as we all know - itīs also
> posssible to share the CARD-DATA.....
>
> The second thing - i canīt beleve that itīs legal....

just one more word about the (il)legality:

I dont know which kind of smartcards are used for decrypting the tv
streams, but the idea behind this kind of cryptography is the following:

   the contents of the card is NOT readable (at least the part with the
   keys). (and so it is not spreadable)
   what is done is the following:
    - the card-reader supports the chip of the card with power
    - the reader sends the encrypted data to the card
    - the reader receives the decrypted data from the card.

   there is no way to copy the (whole) contents of such a card.

c ya
        Sergei

         eMail:       Sergei.Haller@math.uni-giessen.de