[linux-dvb] Re: Cant_locate_module_char-major-250

Hi!

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Ewald Maier wrote:
> >But it does not here, so this part also seems to be correct.
> the confusing for me is, that the device is always busy and not
> synced, but as we see below, it is synced:
> [...]

Errm, no... This "sync" has nothing to do with "Channel not sync'ed". They
come from totally different sources. "Channel not sync'ed" is an error
message resulting from return codes passed thru the DVB API. "sync" is
just an echo of a line in DVB/driver/Makefile.

> bash-2.05# cat /proc/devices
> Character devices:
> [...]
> 250 DVB
> [...]
> the 250 DVB is here...

Yes, correct.

> >> [...]
> >> -r--r--r--    1 root     root            0 Oct  2 00:50 devices
> >> [...]
> >
> >Those are pseudo files. Run "cat /proc/devices" and you will get an output
> >even if they seem to have zero length. For a dvb-0.9 driver the relevant
> >lines look like
> >    Character devices:
> >      [...]
> >     81 video_capture
> >      [...]
> >    250 DVB
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> it's all there (driver is 0.96)

Right.

> >for a dvb-0.8 driver:
> >      [...]
> >     81 video_capture
> >      [...]
> >    249 ost/ca
> >    250 ost/video
> >    251 ost/sec
> >    252 ost/audio
> >    253 ost/qpsk_fe
> >    254 ost/demux
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> then this must not be here

Right. I only wanted to give a hint why I mentioned an "ost/..." string at
first. The dvb-0.8.2 driver is at hand permanently where I write my mails.
To test a 0.9 driver I have to boot another Linux distribution.

> >vdr is even a big lump of software with countless accesses to devices in
> >/dev/ost. What about simpler apps like ntuxzap, tuxzap or the "test"
> >programs from the driver package? Do they cause comparable lamentations?
> I was not able to compile one of these without errors yet..
> (as I seen http://home.t-online.de/home/hubertus.sandmann/ too..)

As far as I saw it, Mr. Sandmann disregarded the autogen.sh script in his
instructions. So substitute the "./configure" call by "./autogen.sh",
while you are at DVB/apps/tuxzap. Make sure the gtk-devel rpm package is
installed on your system before running autogen.sh.

test_front.c is a proper candidate of those test programs in
DVB/apps/test. Use

    gcc -I../../ost/include -o test_front test_front.c

to compile it. When called it should display some infos about the current
frontend state - without any errors. (You can do these steps as normal
user.)
Another one is test_dvr.c:

    gcc -I../../ost/include -o test_dvr test_dvr.c

Start it and press <Ctrl-C> after some time. It should have generated a
big file called "qq" in the current directory - without any errors.

But first of all, to get a better overview I recommend not to use the
"runvdr" script. It produces too much actions in view of your problems.
Just execute the basic steps (as root):
    cd DVB/driver
    make insmod
- Can you now hear the sound of TV station "n-tv"?
- If you connect a TV set to the card, is the TV image of "n-tv" visible?

If you had all those many error messages just before, return to a clear
state before trying the above: call "make rmmod" or, if that doesn't work,
remove all DVB driver modules individually with rmmod - or... do a reboot.

If this is working so far continue with simple applications like those
test programs, tuxview, tuxzap,...

Bye,
     Rolf