[linux-dvb] Re: Left and right audio swapped on Siemens DVB-S?

Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de(Klaus Schmidinger)  07.10.01 17:30

Once upon a time Klaus Schmidinger shaped the electrons to say...

>I'm using a Siemens DVB-S card, which is connected to the TV set with
>the cable that came with the card (Cinch and phone jack ("Klinke") on
>the card side, Scart on the TV side. With this setup apparently the
>left and right audio channel are swapped. I double checked this by
>inserting

> void cDvbApi::SetVolume(int Volume, bool Absolute)
> {
>   if (fd_audio >= 0) {
>      volume = min(max(Absolute ? Volume : volume + Volume, 0),
>MAXVOLUME);       audioMixer_t am;
>      am.volume_left = am.volume_right = volume;
>+     am.volume_left = 100;

Tried with a Version 2.1  am.volume_left = 0;
Only the "red" colored Cinch carries a signal.
That's too "not the peak" of the 3,5mm jack...
(the peak is -by convention- normaly "left")

>      CHECK(ioctl(fd_audio, AUDIO_SET_MIXER, &am));
>      }
> }

>into VDR's source, so that there would be a big difference between the
>two audio channels. With this change the *left* channel is loud and
>the *right* channel is almost silent (the "volume" used is the default
>value of 255 as set when VDR starts up). I would have expected it to
>be the other way round.

>Can anybody else confirm this observation?

Tried with 2.1 : All seems to be OK.

But i too have a "funny" effect:
left=100;
right=200;
If i unplug the left channel, the right becomes louder!
This seems to be caused by the scart "switch" box.
Without that box every thing is as expected.
Solution:
-> The mono TV set plugged for tests to the box short cuts
the L+R channels. Argl... ;-)

>Could this be a fault in the cable?

Most likely: In the adapther.

Have look in the "Kabel-FAQ" and compare the wiring of the scart plug.

http://me.in-berlin.de/~scorpio/faqkabel.html

SCART: (Male)

    1   3   5   7   9   11  13  15  17  19
  | Ro  Lo  Gnd Blu Gnd Grn Gnd Red Gnd Yo  |
  |                                         \ 21
  |   Ri  Gnd Li  12V Da1 Da2 Da3 BAS Gnd Yi  \
      2   4   6   8   10  12  14  16  18  20

>Or is it an error on the DVB card layout?

Or in the documentation?

Or in the TV set?