[linux-dvb] Re: Left and right audio swapped on Siemens DVB-S?

Rainer Zocholl wrote:

> Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de(Klaus Schmidinger)  07.10.01 17:30
>
> Once upon a time Klaus Schmidinger shaped the electrons to say...
>
> >I'm using a Siemens DVB-S card, which is connected to the TV set with
> >the cable that came with the card (Cinch and phone jack ("Klinke") on
> >the card side, Scart on the TV side. With this setup apparently the
> >left and right audio channel are swapped. I double checked this by
> >inserting
>
> > void cDvbApi::SetVolume(int Volume, bool Absolute)
> > {
> >   if (fd_audio >= 0) {
> >      volume = min(max(Absolute ? Volume : volume + Volume, 0),
> >MAXVOLUME);       audioMixer_t am;
> >      am.volume_left = am.volume_right = volume;
> >+     am.volume_left = 100;
>
> Tried with a Version 2.1  am.volume_left = 0;
> Only the "red" colored Cinch carries a signal.
> That's too "not the peak" of the 3,5mm jack...
> (the peak is -by convention- normaly "left")
>

> >      CHECK(ioctl(fd_audio, AUDIO_SET_MIXER, &am));
> >      }
> > }
>
> >into VDR's source, so that there would be a big difference between the
> >two audio channels. With this change the *left* channel is loud and
> >the *right* channel is almost silent (the "volume" used is the default
> >value of 255 as set when VDR starts up). I would have expected it to
> >be the other way round.
>
> >Can anybody else confirm this observation?
>
> Tried with 2.1 : All seems to be OK.
>
> But i too have a "funny" effect:
> left=100;
> right=200;
> If i unplug the left channel, the right becomes louder!
> This seems to be caused by the scart "switch" box.
> Without that box every thing is as expected.
> Solution:
> -> The mono TV set plugged for tests to the box short cuts
> the L+R channels. Argl... ;-)
>
> >Could this be a fault in the cable?
>
> Most likely: In the adapther.
>
> Have look in the "Kabel-FAQ" and compare the wiring of the scart plug.
>
> http://me.in-berlin.de/~scorpio/faqkabel.html
>
> SCART: (Male)
>
>     1   3   5   7   9   11  13  15  17  19
>   +-----------------------------------------+
>   | Ro  Lo  Gnd Blu Gnd Grn Gnd Red Gnd Yo  |
>   |                                         \ 21
>   |   Ri  Gnd Li  12V Da1 Da2 Da3 BAS Gnd Yi  \
>       2   4   6   8   10  12  14  16  18  20
>
> >Or is it an error on the DVB card layout?
>
> Or in the documentation?
>
> Or in the TV set?

Thanks, this helped a lot.

I can't believe it, but apparently all three cables I have (originally
delivered with the Siemens DVB-S cards) have audio left and right swapped!
A newer cable, which I got only recently, is connected correctly.

Klaus