[linux-dvb] Questions about the design of the DVB device driver

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the DVB driver, so please bear with me.

I'm currently looking at the source code of the DVB device driver for
the Siemens DVB card and trying to understand it as i'm contemplating if
I should use it as a template for an own driver for a different
hardware.
Is there a specific design reason that there is just one big file/module
(>6000 lines) for all DVB and the V4L devices?
Are the devices so tightly coupled that this approach is necessary or
has the code just evolved that way?

Kai