[linux-dvb] Re: Inserting a splitter in the DVB-Driver

On Monday 29 October 2001 07:36, Markus Winkler wrote:

> By the way, I found a software decoder for transport streams. It works very
> well with windows, but perhaps you could use it on linux as well.

Have you got a URL? I am currently using the following command (very
successfully) to watch live TV:

dumprtp | ts2ps 1 2 | bfr -m 1024kB | mplayer -

bfr is buffer application available from:

http://www.glines.org/software/buffer.html

This uses about 35% of a 1GHz PIII with a Matrox G450 video card.

> >[schnipp]
> >
> > > Regarding patching the driver to multicast the TS, I don't think that's
> > > the right place for it.  This seems a task best suited to user-space.
> >
> >I also think so.
>
> Why? In my opinion, it should be very easy to dump the ts-data to the
> network from inside the driver. Sure, you dump what you see on tv, but
> that's exactly what i want.

IMHO, if it is possible to do it in user space, then that is where it should
be done.

Also, the driver doesn't read any data from the card unless an application is
reading it from either /dev/ost/dvr or /dev/ost/demux.  In the latter case
(for non-budget cards), the data is never in TS format inside the driver -
the driver uses PES streams internally. So it wouldn't be a trivial matter to
add streaming to the driver.

I don't know what other applications you use with the driver, but if you use
VDR, then that is where you should add the streaming support.

The main complication is the fact that VDR isn't reading data from
/dev/ost/dvr unless it is recording or "transferring".  You would have to
change it so that it always read data from that device.  I don't know how
Klaus would feel about that - i.e. if he would accept such a patch into his
version of VDR.

Klaus - if you are reading this, do you have a view on adding RTP streaming
support to VDR?

Regards,

Dave.