[linux-dvb] Re: AW: AW: Writing to /dev/ost/video0 impossible?

Quoting Schuett Thomas <Thomas.Schuett@icn.siemens.de>:

>>und verwies auf die API-Dokumentation, die ich zwar gefunden habe, aus der
>>ich aber nicht schlau werde.
>>
>>Es muß doch dafür eine Lösung geben, wieso schreibt niemand einfach, wie es
>>mit dem neuen Treiber funktioniert?
>
> (lets stick with english inside the NG)
> Yes, I can't read much out of the API doku.
> Also I miss something like a "release note" or so,
> that tracks the version changes.

I agree. Though there is some kind of a release note in the doc, it
still contains outdated information. (Also it is not quite complete.
So I had to look into the driver sources for the ioctl's)

> What I (believe to) know:
> - recording and playback with "cat" is only possible until
>   version 0.8x of the driver.
>
> - If you want to record/playback with the 0.9x driver,
>  you have to 1)open the device, 2) write/read some info
>  as dexcribed in the API spec. 3) read/write the stream.

There is a simpler method. If you press on the penguin in tuxzap
you can use /dev/ost/dvr for recording and playback with "cat".
The recorded channel is set by tuxzap. The data format is TS.

> - There is a certain amount of people willing to stay with
>   the "cat" API. rolf.siebrecht@t-online.de announced a
>   0.82 sanity version in this NG at 03.10.2001.
>
> - PVA streams are a more official name for AV_PES streams.
>
> - PVA streams are only supported until 0.7x driver.

AFAIK, PVA streams were still supported in 0.8x

> I hope, I said everything right so far. If not, hopefully
> someone enlights us.
>
> cu,
>   Thomas
>

> PS: I am just trying to use the 0.7 driver with a new kernel.
> When I got through, I may post a small guidance.

I am running dvb-20010604 with modified VDR-0.97. Helps me keeping the
audio sync'ed when replaying my recordings... ;-)

Regards, Andreas.