[linux-dvb] Re: ves1820 & INVERSION_AUTO

Jaakko Hyvätti wrote:
>   Hi!
>
>   Some software seems to rely on INVERSION_AUTO being understood by
> frontends, so maybe the following patch is in order in NEWSTRUCT branch.
> Old branch used to do the same thing.  I have no datasheets, but this
> works for me.

Every software should check the capability flags before passing any
XXX_AUTO parameter. The VES1820 driver returns -EINVAL because this
demodulator can't detect the spectrum inversion setting automatically.

>   The reason why for example vdr-1.1.* happens to work without this patch
> with QAM_64 is that the reg0 default value includes setting for QAM_64,
> and the fact that ves1820_setup_reg0() fails every time it is called
> does not matter, because FE_RESET ioctl is called immediately after that.
>
>   With this ves1820_setup_reg0() does not fail and QAM_128 works without
> modifications to applications.

Please fix the application, these hacks don't belong into the driver.
The inversion setting is either part of the channel list or the
application has to implement an autoprobing.

Holger