[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-T with MPEG2 decoder/TV-out

In message <4b75f20939fruit@ukgateway.net>
          fruit <fruit@ukgateway.net> wrote:

Hi Andy!

> In article <ad9c69754b.richard@proton.acorn>,
>    Richard Walker <runnyhunny@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> > > From what I've read so far, it seems like I'll have to buy a 'full'
> > > DVB-s card (e.g. Hauppauge Nexus-s) *and* a 'budget' DVB-t card (e.g.
> > > Hauppauge Nova-t).  i.e. I'll use the MPEG-2 hardware in the DVB-s
> > > card, and the tuner hardware in the DVB-t card!  Madness, I know!  :-(
>
> Why not get a Hollywood Plus or Creative DXR3 for h/w decode - won't help
> you use vdr, but works fine with dvbstream and mplayer.

Hmm... I thought about something like that, or just using the TV-out on a
standard-ish video card that I have spare.

But... I really want to use VDR, and since that works so well with a 'fully
featured' DVB card, I'd rather stick with that.  I'm hoping for my Linux box
to be VGA/X11-less.

It's still at the planning stage at the moment - probably a 400 MHz K6/2,
with a 'fully featured' DVB-t card.  I'd like to use it as a TV, PVR and
DVD/VCD player.  VDR promises all this (and more!).

--
Richard.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see."