[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-T not working with 'old' driver

Tomi Ollila wrote:
> Friday Sep 27 09:45:17 +0300 2002 Lauri Tischler <lauri.tischler@efore.fi> wrote:
>
>>Tomi Ollila wrote:
>>
>>>It should not be hard to find the exact source code lines where those
>>>are defined (seems to be in dvb.c)...  Anyway, it is the application that
>>>sets those values too (i.e.. you need to patch vdr/dvbstream/etc. (also) to
>>>use correct values).
>>
>>Yep, I think I found it, in dvbapi.c the parameter guard-interval is 1_32,
>>it should be 1_8, qam and trans.mode were correct.
>

> Hmm, that is true. dvb_defaults.h dvbstream/dvbtune/... has that correct
> in FINLAND settings.
>

>>I got following information from Finnish network provider:
>>
>>Network Name		:[0]Digita Finland
>>Transport Stream ID	: 0x1001
>>Original Network ID	: 0x20F6
>>Bandwidth		: 8MHz
>>Constellation		: 64 QAM
>>Hierarchy Information	: Non Hierarchical
>>Code Rate		: 2/3
>>Guard Interval		: 1/8
>>Transmission Mode	: 8K
>>
>>Maybe this info should be added to drivers and vdr as conditional code
>>for each country.
>

> I second that. The way dvbtools does it could be good candidate (If I can
> promote my own suggestion ;)
>
> Even though the final responsibility of setting those values correctly
> is the  application, since the driver also sets those (for defaults),
> there should be good mechanism to flexible choose country/area/region
> defaults.

No, it's nowhere specified that the driver has to set any default
values. It's up to the application to set the correct tuning parameters.
Please fix vdr and dvbstream to use complete channel lists with all
tuning parameters.

The initial tuning of the driver was a 'debug feature', but slowly I
consider it as a very evil thing because all applications are buggy
right now, AFAIK only the szap, czap, tzap examples are using the
correct tuning sequence. Please take a look into this code.

Holger