[linux-dvb] optimizing TCP transfers

 Hi,

  I am under the impression that, given proper Linux kernel settings,
large bandwidth (up to 20Mbps) with large RTT (800-2100 ms) can give me
sustained throughput under Linux's stock TCP stack.

  Am I mistaken ?

  Currently, I've seen a NT client at 1.6Msymols/s, 3/4FEC and data
streams generated at 1Mbps give me sustained 81kB/sec ( == cca 700kbps ?).
The minimal PING loop time has been 900ms, averaging at 1200ms.

  I would like to achieve the same sustained throughput with Linux.

  I've been trying to manipulate in Linux 2.4.18 (SuSE 8.0) in
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ and /proc/sys/net/core/ the many params, but the best
I could get with Linux was to get to 30-40kB/sec within the first 10
seconds, and then the throughput would drop within the next 30 seconds
below 10kB/s, often to 5-6kB/sec.

  Can someone advise me please of the proper values for the variables in
/proc/sys/net/... ?

  Can someone point me please to a URL which would elaborate on the
variables in the current kernels (2.4.x) to optimize TCP throughput under
high latencies (800 - 2100 ms) ?

  Thanks in advance,

      John

--
-- Gospel of Jesus is the saving power of God for all who believe --
               ## To some, nothing is impossible. ##