[linux-dvb] Re: State of the API?

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 07:28:29AM +0200, Holger Waechtler wrote:
> (sorry for the typos, I'm not yet woken up;)
> another try...

(I'll pick this one to reply to :) )

> The API documentation you talk about is the one of the 'old' driver.
> This API is pretty stable in the sense that the driver will only get
> bug-fixed, new development is going into an extra branch in CVS, marked
> by the tag NEWSTRUCT.
>
> There you'll find a short HOWTO which describes the API changes.

OK, so the API document is old and describes the old API, and while a
new API is in the works, it just hasn't been documented yet (as in API
specification)?
I do know about NEWSTRUCT (and have it checked out), I was just assuming
that the latest existing document is still the basis for the driver.
I've used the CVS tree only to check some minor aspects regarding some
chips that have drivers there.

> There is no documentation maintainer right now, that's why it is pretty
> outdated. Feel free to contribute!

I will.. I had considered writing a new API specification already,
trying to fix the worst problems in the old API document.

Then the question rather becomes, who owns the document? It's (C)
Convergence but published without fees, so if I do rewrite the API
documentation, what's the legal status? Before using text from the old
document as is, I need to be sure that there will be no lawyers hounding
me, and I'd like to avoid as much as possible of any red tape imposed by
company lawyers because they can sometimes make easy things very hard.

[skipping the rest - I'll be back after I've compared NEWSTRUCT
 extensively with the old branch and the API document]

Ismo Peltonen                   Axel Digital Oy
Senior Software Architect       Yliopistonkatu 25 A
tel.dir. +358 2 512 8898        FIN-20100 Turku, Finland
mobile   +358 50 539 8697       tel. +358 2 512 8800
Ismo.Peltonen@axeldigital.fi    fax  +358 2 512 8811

-- Type: application/pgp-signature