[linux-dvb] Re: State of the API?

Hi,

Ismo.Peltonen@iptime.fi wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 07:28:29AM +0200, Holger Waechtler wrote:
>
>>(sorry for the typos, I'm not yet woken up;)
>>another try...
>

> (I'll pick this one to reply to :) )
>

>>The API documentation you talk about is the one of the 'old' driver.
>>This API is pretty stable in the sense that the driver will only get
>>bug-fixed, new development is going into an extra branch in CVS, marked
>>by the tag NEWSTRUCT.
>>
>>There you'll find a short HOWTO which describes the API changes.
>

> OK, so the API document is old and describes the old API, and while a
> new API is in the works, it just hasn't been documented yet (as in API
> specification)?

No, beside the HOWTO, the examples in the DVB/apps/ directory and the
comments in the source there is no written documentation yet.

> I do know about NEWSTRUCT (and have it checked out), I was just assuming
> that the latest existing document is still the basis for the driver.

no, the API has changed, but these changes are outlined in the HOWTO I
mentioned. You'll find it in the doc directory.

>>There is no documentation maintainer right now, that's why it is pretty
>>outdated. Feel free to contribute!
>

> I will.. I had considered writing a new API specification already,
> trying to fix the worst problems in the old API document.
>
> Then the question rather becomes, who owns the document? It's (C)
> Convergence but published without fees, so if I do rewrite the API
> documentation, what's the legal status?

See the mail from Johannes too, Convergence decided to change all
licenses to plain GPL, no double licensing schemes anymore.

Holger