[linux-dvb] Re: osd for nova ?

On 09.10.02 at 11:19 Holger Waechtler wrote:

>Hi,
>
>sschmidt wrote:

>>>original:

>>>I don't see a point why it should be limited to Matrox cards. Any card
>>>that's well supported by DirectFB and can do either PAL resolution or
>>>hardware accelerated stretchblits should work fine. Using the SDL
>>>backend you can even render into an X11 window...
>>

>> Simply because they have only patched the MGA driver vor syncing. :-)
>
>AFAIK the sync patch is only required to keep thy system load low when
>waiting for vertical retrace. DoK's patch lets the waiting process sleep
>until the retrace interrupt occurs.
>

>> DVB is at the moment interlaced. TV-Out should be, at least in germany,
>> also interlaced. You have to sync source and destination if you don't
>like
>> to buffer the stream.
>
>You can let do DirectFB do the deinterlacing for you. I don't know if
>this works on all graphics cards, maybe this is for now only supported
>on some ones...
>
>Holger
Ok, let me explain with my own words. Deinterlacing is one of most
difficult things. The human brains seems to be very effective but the
algorithms used in different applications are, hmm, weak. I don't know if
you know DScaler but there are more then 10 algorithms implemented and no
fits for all needs.
Thats why i would prefere a human based deinterlacing. :-)
It's really a misbelief that the picture quality is better after 2
conversions. (interlaced/progressive/interlaced)

If you intend to use the progressive vga out you are right. Then there is
no problem with but there will be if you transform back to interlaced.

The reason why i mentioned the link is that there is a class for the osd
which can then be reused.