[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-T cards in the UK

In message <002801c2748a$6385fef0$6300000a@moist>
          "Gavin Hamill" <gdh@acentral.co.uk> wrote:

[ Nova-t + Dxr3 ]

> Yep - originally I thought I /needed/ to use the 'NEWSTRUCT' driver, but I
> since found out my tuning wasn't exact enough and the 'normal' driver
> would work.

I see.  Isn't VDR moving towards NEWSTRUCT?  So as a 'soon-to-be new user' I
would probably be better off starting with that?

> > Can you watch an existing recording (via the Dxr3) whilst the Nova-t is
> > recording something else?
>
> I haven't got that far yet :/ As soon as I hit 'Record', the picture freezes
> for several seconds. I haven't tried sending the recorded file directly to
> the dxr3...
>
> If I try to replay a recording from within VDR, VDR segfaults :/

Oh, right!  :-/

> > And can you watch live programmes OK?
>
> Yes, this works perfectly, with on-screen "now and next" programme info and
> everything.

Great.  So, at the very least, I'll be able to make the system act like a
typical STB?  That's good.

Is there a full screen 'TV guide'?  Do subtitles work too?

Out of interest, is it possible to play DVDs with the setup?  And are these
straight via VDR, or MPlayer?

Sorry for all the questions!

> > I don't have a Nova-t yet, nor do I have a big enough hard disk (Linux
> > box has 420 MB!), but I feel the need to prat around with a Dxr3 and
> > some MPEG-2 clips!  :-)
>
> Yes, you'll need a fair bit more than 420Mb to do any serious recording...
> VDR spools the direct broadcast MPEG2.. that runs at 9Mbit/sec for most
> channels (BBC1 gets 15Mbit/sec!)...

Yeah, I was thinking of more like 80-100 GB... :-)  A nice new drive!

Thanks for all the info,
--
Richard.

"C'mon... Please please me, whoa yeah, like I please you."