[linux-dvb] Re: NEWSTRUCT questions

Hi,

> NEWSTRUCT is history...
> We were trying to push the DVB API/framework and our favourite driver
> into the 2.5 kernel, and cleaned up some type naming issues.

> The script attached there can be used to help porting your sources to the
> new API.

Doh. This was a naming issue. No idea how to call the current api. Maybe
newapi :D Sorry for the trouble. We're aware of the current state and are
using the dvb-kernel tree of the linuxtv.org cvs.

http://cvs.berlios.de/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/tuxbox/driver/dvb/drivers/media/dvb/

There you will find a (currently not working) snapshot of your efford to port
to the newapi. There is a dummy frontend and adapter driver which might be
helpfull for others trying to understand how it works. It is currently under
development and far from beeing complete.

> The DVB driver should be able to tell the I2C subsystem to probe for
> frontends only on a specific I2C bus. (The frontend drivers are
> the same for all systems, so they know nothing about the busses.)

Thats true. At least it would be fine to have such a situation ;)

> Maybe Holger knows a solution?

Hope so! I've a vague idea on how to fix the problem in a much cleaner way. I
will try to elaborate but dont know if this even will work:

My idea is to extend the dvb_i2c layer with some kind of gateway/bridge to the
linux i2c layer. dvb_i2c will try to probe its internal busses first and then
fallback to linux i2c if no devices could be attached.

Would you accept a patch for that? This will result in a dependency to the
i2c_core. If a dependency is not acceptable it is possible to make it a
compile time option.

This opens up another question: Is there a required module load order? Frist
fe's then adapters or the other way round? Or no required order at all?

Thanks for your helpfull reply!

Regards,
   Florian Schirmer