[linux-dvb] Re: Leftover kdvb-fe processes

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Oliver Endriss wrote:
> > It seems that the frontend process exits (and remains as a zombie
> > process) as soon as the frontend is opened again.
> > Does vdr open the frontend twice?
>
> Actually it does - first in order to detect whether there is a device
> presnt, and then when it actually uses it. I didn't know that it
> would hurt to open, close and re-open the frontend. Shouldn't it be
> possible to open and close the frontend any number of times?

This should be possible, of course.
I just noticed that dvb_frontend_start() is called twice.
Sometimes I see one zombie and one normal fe process, sometimes I see
two normal fe processes. Sometimes that kernel oops happens, sometimes
not. If you add some printk the oops disappears. :-)
Looks like a kind of synchronisation problem.

Oliver