[linux-dvb] Budget DVB-C and DVB-S

Hi all!

Firstly, for the first time since I started about 6 months ago, my DVB
setup has been working a treat! Kernel problems fixed in 2.4.20 and latest
CVS has made my DVB experience a pleasure! Thanks to everyone who works on
this project!

Ok, now a question. I have a Nova-T card at the moment. I watch everything
on my PC's monitor and enjoy the ability to, out of the box as it were,
watch 2 channels at the same time. At the moment I'm not too worried about
hardware mpeg decoding.. If I'm not at my desk, I use a wireless laptop
and dvbstream.. Its wonderful. What I'd like to know is there a "budget"
dvb-C card. I live in the UK, in an NTL cable francise area and for my
next project I'd like to get my little TV setup "cable" aware. I already
have analog NTL cable in the house and use a BTTV WinTV/Theatre card to
receive nearly all the channel directly. However, I'd really like to
upgrade the household analog set-top box to NTL digital and, with the
appropriate hardware, have it connected to my Linux setup also.. Makes
tivo-like recording simple.. I hate relying on "vhs" ;)

I understand that NagraVision are the company behind the NTL cable
encryption / CA system. I'm not trying to circumvent this but as I
understand, the only thing preventing you from buying a NV CAM, plugging
it into a DVB-C card and watching all your DVB-C subscribed channels is a
key mismatch.. the key in the CAM does not match the key in your settop
box and hence it wont work

More digging revealed the possibility of a "programmible, Nagravision
compatible CAM" which could be set to match the STB?

On the other hand, would a DVB-C card receive, if there were any, Free
channels on NTL correctly?

I'm really only fishing for information. Does anyone have any experience
with NTL or even Telewest? And, more importantly which DVB-C cards would
people recommend. All the current TV hardware I have is Hauppauge and it
would be great if it were available in the UK!

Thanks in advance

Chris