[linux-dvb] Re: Hardware lockup

On Thursday 05 Dec 2002 07:55, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am experiencing a hardware lock up problem when using the current CVS
> version of the DVB drivers with a Haupauge nova-t DVB card.
>
> I am using the following sequence:
>
> 1. Power the computer up and boot into Linux
> 2. cd DVB/driver
> 3. make insmod
> 4 run dvbtune.
>
> The computer then locks up. It appears that some kind of reset has
> occured, since the keyboard lights flash. I have no mouse or keyboard
> response. If I then reset the computer and repeat the above steps, dvbtune
> runs
> correctly.This is reasonably repeatable - it heppens most times I start
> the computer from cold.
>
> Config:
> Mandrake 9.0
> Kernel 2.4.19-16mdk
> DVB taken from CVS on 3/Dec/2002
>
> The dvb card is a haupauge nova-t budget card. The kernel reports it is a
> (TT-Budget/WinTV-NOVA-T PCI)
> The front end is reported as : Grundig 29504-401.
>
> Can anyone give me some pointers to help track this down? I am guessing
> that there is some card initialisation missing from the driver.

Yes I've seen solid lockups a couple of times (RedHat 7.3, stock 2.4.18
kernel, early-model dvb-t). My procedure which has always worked so far is
(1) make insmod (2) wait a couple of minutes (3) run dvbtune *once*,
specifying a valid frequency QAM etc (3) wait five minutes for the driver to
settle down (4) use the card. Not letting the driver settle seems to be the
cause of the lockups.

Dave