[linux-dvb] reg: working of mrouted , some help please

Hi,

I am Computer Engineering Masters student from the University of Kansas.

I have implemented a reliable multicast service based on composite
protocols for my Masters Thesis. I would like to compare my implementation
with that of mrouted ( DVMRP for Linux).

I successfully manage to complile and install mrouted on Linux , but I
have the following problem.

Please read on..

I have problems with sending multicast packets on a mrouted ( DVMRP implementation for
 Linux) network.

My network topology looks like :
--------------------------------

                                        R1--*H1

                                        R2--*H5

                   *H7--R3----------------------------R4--*H6
                        |                             |
                        |                             |
                R5--------------R6          R7-----------------R8
                |               |           |                  |
                * H1            *H2         *H3                *H4

mrouted runs on routers ( which are Linux boxes ) R1, R2.. R8.

I am trying to send multicast packets from source H1 to the group
225.0.0.5.

H4 has already joined the group 225.0.0.5 and this information is
successfully
reflected in R8's routing table.

Coming to my question :
-----------------------

 First of all, I dont find any of the multicast routes installed in the
kernel IP routing table.
However, mrouted computes all the routes successfully , which I checked by
sending an USR1 signal to the process.

So when I try to send a packet from H1 addressed to 225.0.0.5 , packets
are sent only on the
 statically defined default routes for multicast IP addresses , and if
there is no default r
oute , its not sent at all.

Any idea of how make this work ?

my mrouted.conf file at R1 looks like this:

phyint eth0 disable
phyint eth1 rate_limit 0 igmpv1
phyint eth2 rate_limit 0

where eth1 and eth2 connect to H1 and R2 respectively.

Similar configuration exists on other machines too.

Am I missing something ?

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Sandeep.