[linux-dvb] AW: Re: [linuxtv-cvs] [CVS-LinuxTV] dvb-kernel

Hi,

>Sorry, I wasn't clear here: for 2.4.x I use the backported 2.5.x
>videodev-stuff.
>
>This is because we need v4l2, too, which is not available for 2.4.x at
>all. So, it we have video_copy() for all kernels in videodev.o, right?

No. We're using the official v4l2 implementation for the 2.4.x kernel.
(ftp://ftp.thedirks.org/pub/v4l2/kernel2.4/videodevX/videodevX-20020330.tgz)
. This implementation doesn't provide vide_copy(). IMHO the dvb-core should
not depend on v4l2. This will leed to a tricky situation (if the videodev
isn't enabled): Either you deny enabling the dvb subsystem at all or will
end up in UR symbols. I can't see any reason for that.

I know it is bad to have duplicated code in the kernel. But in the past
situations like this were resolved this way. If enough users (subsystems)
used (copied) the code, someone made a library for it. (eg. CRC32, zlib).

Conclusion: Keep the compat stuff but maybe rename it to dvb_copy or
something else. IMHO. Comments?

Bye,
   Florian