[linux-dvb] Re: System load caused by I2C (was: Re: Re: Announcement: new saa7146 driver core for the av7110 dvb driver)

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 12:14:37AM +0100, Michael Hunold wrote:

> >Maybe not enough to worry about, but maybe
> >we could use one of the saa's register sequencers for I2C timing?
>
> Yes, heavy i2c access can cause high system load, that's true.
>
> In my current design, RPS0 is used for video capture, RPS1 is used for
> vbi capture.
>
> If you can tell me for sure, that you never ever want to capture vbi (is
> it re-inserted at all?) with a dvb card, then I can add a "use RPS1 for
> DVB I2C access" mode.

Usually there's no need to to capture vbi on a DVB card.
One exception might be the analog extension for the
Fujitsu-Seimens DVB-C card, but I'm not shure if that is
currently supported at all.

It would be nice if we could use RPS1 for I2C if RPS1 is available,
and fall back to the current I2C mode if RPS1 is used for vbi.
But like I said, it's not terribly important. Maybe it's
better to slow down kdvb-fe to lower the system load after
one round of zig-zag scanning failed.

Ciao,
Johannes