[linux-dvb] Re: Panic when starting from cold (was: Re:Announcement: new saa7146 driver core for the av7110 dvb driver)

On Sun, 2002-12-22 at 19:46, Michael Hunold wrote:
> Hello Pete,
>
> > As the original author of this driver, I was wondering if you have any ideas
> > on tracking down the kernel panic that sometimes occurs in this driver when
> > starting up from cold. Several people have reported similar problems.
>
> I'd like to point out again that I'm not the original author of the
> av7110 driver, only of the saa7146 parts.
>
> So, anything related to bugs with the av7110 driver was most likely not
> "produced" by me.
>
> Now that I own a DVB card myself, I'll of course debug the av7110 driver
> as best as I can -- thanks for your feedback.

To help you, I've been doing some tests.

I have a Nova-T on kernel 2.4.20. I'm using the driver from the "DVB"
module in cvs.

I have tried the backported "dvb-kernel" driver... this doesn't even
give the oops/LED flashing. The machine freezes up completely.

Booting up from cold and insmodding the driver is fine.
Tuning is fine.
Opening the demux device is fine.

As soon as I add in a filter, I get the Oops. (Section filter, PID 0,
table 0, filter 0). I don't even try to read any data.

I can cause this effect without fail: turn power off for 10 seconds,
power up machine, then use the DVB stuff.