[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-S and vdr in South Africa, part II

Alexis Iglauer wrote:
> Hi
>
> Hopefully everybody has spending spending a chunk of quality time away
> from their computers these last few days!
>
> After a hint from Micael I am now using the "alternate" driver from
> http://www.linuxdvb.tv/
> (http://www.linuxdvb.tv/driver/driver-20020228.tgz) together with the TT
> firmware linked to on that page.  I can tune to FTA channels now, but am
> still not getting anywhere with the encrypted channels.  I am basically
> working with two applications: dvbtune and vdr.
>
> There are some aspects of the DVB drivers and of their interaction with
> the firmware that I do not yet understand, if someone could point me in
> the right direction here I would be most grateful.
>
> 1a) How does the driver (or the firmware) know that a channel needs to
> be decrypted?

The firmware starts a PAT/PMT scan after tuning.

> 1b) vdr has a ca.conf file, with entries for Premiere and GOD.  What
> can/must I enter here to make it talk to the encryption system used by
> DSTV in South Africa?  Do I need to change the code of vdr to match?

please ask VDR related questions on the VDR mailing list.

> 1c) How do set up the CA using programs other than vdr?

Right now you don't have to.

> 2) I have the following channel definitions for a free to air channel:
> - channels.conf file for vdr:
> EuroNews:11674:v:0:26652:260:261:0:0:108
> - DVBtune command:
> dvbtune -f 1924000 -s 26652 -p v -a 261 -v 260 -tone 0
> - szap channels.conf
> EuroNews:1924000:v:0:26652:260:261

what about "EuroNews:11674:v:0:26652:260:261:0:0:108";?

> For some reason, the first two work, but I cannot tune to the FTA
> channel with szap.  Is there some parameter which the DVB drivers need
> which szap does not pass?
>
> 3) I cannot get the "scan" application which is a part of the driver to
> compile, as it seems that the frontend.h file that comes with the driver
> does not have the necessary definitions in it.  Specifically, the
> structure definition:
>
> struct diseqc_cmd {
>         struct dvb_diseqc_master_cmd cmd;
>         uint32_t wait;
> };
>
> Cannot compile as the structure definition for "dvb_diseqc_master_cmd"
> does not seem to exist.  Am I missing something?

You use an ancient frontend.h file somewhere in your system. Please
remove it and use the one you get with your driver CVS snapshot in
DVB/include/linux/dvb/frontend.h. scan is not compatible with the old
driver, you would have to patch it to use the old API.

Holger