[linux-dvb] Re: Adding SDI SMPTE 259M interface to DVB card

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002 19:10:59 +0000, "Daniel Schmelzer"
<dschmelzer@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Don't know that there is open source bridge code for the SAA7146 Bt.656
> interface.  There's plenty of open source code for the Conexant Fusion 878A
> and CX2388x chips, at least for Windows.  That's what we use for the SDI
> Silk 100/200 (through the btwincap driver and DScaler application).  That's
> also what the Immersive Holo3DGraph uses.

I don't assume that any change to the software/firmware is necessary to
make this work. I thought of a simple hardware mod, i.e. tapping the
CCIR656 data stream between the AV711x and SAA7146A. I assume all of the
SDI mods for DVB-Players and the Cinematrix mod does the same. The
parallel stream just have to be serialized with a chip like the CLC020
from National. http://www1.national.com/pf/CL/CLC020.html

But you are certainly right in one aspect. One can modify the
firmware/software to use the second D1 port as additional input or
output for SDI.

I dream of having VDR and dscaler with SDI and composite/s-video inputs
running under Linux under one integrated user interface. ;-) This would
not only replace an expensive external scaler with SDI input, you also
get a one box solution with DVB, DVD, MP3, Scaler, ...

Emil