[linux-dvb] Re: Astra footprint in romania/Ads that fool the cutomers (was: Re: DVB driver for B2C2 based budget cards (such as Technisat SkyStar 2))

dwe wrote:

> But maybe this is not the whole truth and it's possible to receiver Astra in
> Romania (e.g. in Medias, which is nearly in the middel of that country) with
> a 60 cm dish and with a bigger one even on the black sea's cost? Does anyone
> know that or even live there?

Analog reception with a 1.5m dish in Cluj Napoca (north-west part of the
country) is much much better then in Bucharest (capital of the country,
several degrees of longitude to the east and in the south of the
country).

I live in Bucharest and have a 1.6m offset dish. I see much less on
analog, only a few on digital.
2 years ago when I used EON, I could see tp103 reasonably well, tp114,
tp115 barely and tp113 was unusable.
More recently I tried to receive tp119 for Netsystem, but signal level
is about 0.5dB below the usable threshold...

(using the old sdb and dvb0.8, I had EON working at 6.8dB, but I can't
get Netsystem tp119 to sync as signal only ever gets to 6.3dB...

> Beseides: Strato does not PROMISE 4 Mbit/s - the only ADVERTISE with this
> number. In the "rush hour" the sat downlink ist already slower than 2 ISDN
> channels. 4 Mbit/s they definitely fool their not-yet-customers in their

Whith EON's 2Mbps offline on demand downloads it seemed to me that the
speed was more like 1Mbps rather then 2... So much for advertising.

> Internet via satellite is very unsatisfying! High costs and sometimes low
The only interesting one speedwise (for me) was OpenSky, during the test
phase and few users.
One could easily get downloads at 500kbps in those times.

One promising, but expensive, traffic metered subscription, was
Bizarnet, which offered some test accounts on the Xantic service. They
offered 400kbps bandwidth for the MB purchased and it worked well close
to that speed.

--
ing. Andrei Boros
mailto:andrei@srr.ro / +40-21-303-1870