[linux-dvb] Re: Reception of raw TS or multiple PIDS

Am Fre, 2003-02-07 um 22.17 schrieb Gregor Lawatscheck:
> At 20:19 07/02/2003, you wrote:
> >But I think dvbstream can only handle one video- and one audio-PID.
>
> AFAIK dumping a PS requires one video and one audio PID - if you get TS
> from the card you can specify more PIDs (and the special 8192 PID to dump
> the entire transponder on the budget cards)....
>
> > > As far as I know you can do this with budget cards and also with
> > > full-featured cards when you apply a so called 'budget-patch'.
> > >
> > > Searching on this list you can find the link to the budget-patch, but I
> > > never used it, so I can't say it for sure.
> >
> >I've followed the thread of of the patch as I'm interested myself, but
> >there seem to be problems as this is maintained sporadically.
>
> Hang on, is this a software-only patch? I'm puzzled now, because I'm sure
> it looked like you had to use a soldering iron...

No, it's a hardware-patch, but the driver has to be adapted to use it
(and co-operate the direct frontend-SAA7146 connection of the patch-PCB
and the DEBI-port with the AV711x).

> Anyway - it would be great if someone could tell the list the difference
> between "filtered" and "unfiltered" TS. If I understand correctly one can
> get a so called "filtered" TS (transport stream) from a full featured
> DVB-card. Furthermore if I undersand correctly vdr uses these TS streams
> (filtered if from a full card, unfiltered when from a budet card) when
> recording and pipes them through remux.c to save a PES to the disk.

The full-featured card cannot provide full TS as it lacks bandwith (and
TI didn't implement that). So, to get a TS out of the card, it has to
demux the PES-Pids from the TS and remux it into a new TS. But the
number of Pids is limited.

> When doing so it ignores the PTS used for A/V sync -- either because they
> are already correct in the "filtered" TS (but then what about unfiltered
> streams from budget cards) or because it's reckoned that PTS is not needed.
> Could someone please enlighten me on this issue?

Usually full-featured DVB-S have hardware-oscillators to determine
playback-speed. So you only need PTS for SW-playback.

Rene