[linux-dvb] drivers into the kernel

Hi. How is the quality of drivers when integrated into the kernel? Reading documentation and files inside DVB/driver directory, I noted the makepatch script. It's not that smart but after a couple of tests, I got the new menu under multimedia devices. As I can't actually use dvb cards by now (they're working on the roof and I can't connect to the satellite dish), I was wondering how good the integrated solution is. I think monolitic kernels are much better for a settopbox, you get the video out sooner etc etc, no insmod problems, simpler startup scripts; however I don't know what happens if there is a firmware crash or whatever. VDR scripts use to rmmod and insmod all the drivers sometimes to exit from a crash-situation.

Any experience?

P.S. is the USB dvb device really supported? Can I use it as a low budget card?

--

How to build a lirc receiver
http://www.manoweb.com/alesan/lirc