[linux-dvb] Re: Recording to CD-ROM

Sakari Aaltonen wrote:
I have recorded some TV programs (DVB-T) onto hard disk by means of

dvbstream ... -o > file

They are 30 minutes each, which seems to mean some 550Mbytes, just
the right size to put on a CD-ROM (I don't have a DVD recorder.)
But what should the file format be? Of course, I can play them with

cat file | xine stdin:/

, which should be possible even if the file is put on a CD-ROM (I do
have a CD writer.) However, is there a format that would be playable
with a separate ("ordinary"/"domestic"/"set-top") DVD player?
If you don't want to lose quality, the only option you have
is to create a so called "Mini DVD", which is a DVD filestructure
burned to a cd-r/w. But only a few DVD standalone-player support
this (but most SW-players do support Mini-DVD, I don't know about
Xine).
If you are ok with less picture-quality your second option is a SVCD or
a XSVCD, which is a SVCD with non-stand. bitrates (> 2.5MBit). The
quality of a svcd is ok, but not as good as a DVD and most (up-to-date)
DVD players support SVCDs.
And last - but ...- you can create a VideoCD (VCD) which has the poorest
quality and resolution of all formats mentioned here. But VideoCD is
supported by the majority of DVD-players.

So it's up to you ;), but my recommendation would be not to create VCDs, SVCDs or Mini-DVDs. Just burn it onto cd-rom and if you are going to
buy a dvd-player in the future, you are then still able to create other
formats...

bye,
reiner