[linux-dvb] Re: C/A routing Question

Ralph Metzler wrote:
> Rob.McConnell@Zarlink.Com writes:
>  > I agree that as more hardware with PVR capability is becoming available, we
>  > will have to consider different routing scenarios.  The h/w that I am
>  > working on allows for parallel/serial TSs from multiple sources as well as
>  > from C/Is and from a HDD.  Yes, in the HDD case the complete TS that was
>  > recorded on the HDD can be routed through the C/I.  This allows the TS to
>  > still be recorded encrypted on the HDD and then decrypted through the C/I
>  > (keys would have to be stored to prevent them expiring, etc.).
>
> The whole input handling has to be worked on.
> The DVR device does not properly map on any newer hardware. One TS
> ouput usually has nothing to do with any specific input.
> Calls for all the things you mention will have to be added.

Could you be more specific?

For input we already have four dvr devices in dmx_source_t.
IMHO we could use similar definitions for the sinks in dmx_output_t,
or maybe use a different approach for output routing.

>  > I would favour an IOCTL to setup the possible TS sources to the demux and
>  > then the PID filters should have the choice of which TS source to filter
>  > on.   For example, if the demux can only handle 2 TS inputs but there are 5
>  > possible sources, then we need to setup a "router/switch" to implement this
>  > and each PID filter would have to choose which TS input (#1 or #2).
>
> Do you want to set this for each filter or for each demux device/channel?
>
> So, either you have one /dev/dvb/adapterX/demux0 and set the channel
> which is supposed to be used for each filter, or you have demux0,
> demux1, ... demuxY, where each corresponds to one demux channel.
> Please note that on some hardware each filter can choose the input
> freely, on other hardware each demux channel has a fixed amount of
> filters.

Please forgive me that I wrote a lengthier explanation of the
same thing in my previous posting.

But I think if we touch the demux API, then we should carefully
design it right(tm).

Regards,
Johannes