[linux-dvb] Re: C/A routing Question

Rob.McConnell@Zarlink.Com writes:
 > I think I have come to the conclusion that having multiple demux devices in
 > the system is the best option.  In this case, each "virtual" demux device
 > would still need a routing for the possible TS inputs (an IOCTL), but each
 > PID filter wouldn't have to choose the TS source from the output of the
 > router/switch.
 >
 > So as I have 5 possible TS sources entering the router and 2 TSs can enter
 > the demux h/w, I would have 2 "virtual" demux devices.  The router also has
 > the capability of taking an TS input from the HDD and routing it to C/I
 > outputs and back in again.  I guess this would also require specific
 > IOCTLs.

This could be implemented e.g. as a call to the CA device.

 > One other thing that would have to be taken into account is the sharing of
 > the h/w PID filters between the virtual demux devices.  This should be
 > pretty straight forward (I guess).

Yes. Either one assigns a fixed number to each device or one assigns
them dynamically. In the latter case it probably is still best to
set maximum values so that different applications (or parts of the
same) do not take the filters away from each other.

 > BTW, do we have any hooks into the system for DMA operations from the h/w
 > buffers to a DVR for a record operation and from the DVR to the internal
 > h/w buffers for a playback operation?  I would rather use DMA than the
 > read/write syscalls as it would be more efficient in terms of memory/cpu
 > bandwidth.

There is no support yet.

Ralph