[linux-dvb] Re: Linux HDTV

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Daniel Schmelzer wrote:

> Hi Brian--
> >I think a fast CPU would be able to keep up the decode stream.  Compared
> >to the Myth cpu load of encoding and decoding a low-res picture, I'd think
> >it would be doable.
>
> I agree, but two things come to mind.  (1) You need a very fast CPU and high
> memory bandwidth for software decoding, if you don't use the decoding
> acceleration functions on the Radeon and GeForce.  I'm not sure which Linux
> applications do or don't take advantage of these features, but for strict
> software decoding, plan on using one of the fastest CPUs available.

I would definately look for hardware help from the video card, it would
take some research to figure the best solution.  But I'm willing to put
some CPU muscle behind it also.

> (2) For any video material that needs to be deinterlaced in software (rather
> than the acceleration functions discussed above), software decoding will
> give a softer picture than that offered by other solutions.  Some of the
> more sophisticated deinterlacing algorithms take too much CPU on HD, so a
> less sophisticated algorithm would be used (like simple bob).

I guess I don't fully understand this.  Under what conditions would
deinterlacing be needed?  The only combo I can see is if the inbound
signal is 1080i?  In the MSP area, I think all the broadcasts are 720p
right now, but if I'm following you right, I can see the tip of that
iceberg.

> >I understand there would be some low-level work involved, but given time
> >I would be willing to assist in a small group to work on it.  I would be
> >"motivated" to get it working.  Any real interest?
>
> I am willing to assist in pointing out where open source code is available
> and in putting the right developers in touch with each other to get things
> done.

That would be very helpful.  I'll start shopping around to see where I can
get a card; may need to go outside the US.

Brian