[linux-dvb] Re: Linux HDTV

Hi Brian--

Like Mark, I don't see the limitation of no direct output from the card
too significant.  Using the GNURadio software to decode the stream and
output to the standard video card, I think that would be all that would be
needed for the basis of a HD PVR.  The video card would have to support
the HD resolutions for output to a HDTV monitor, but many do...
Maybe not all at 1080i, but the progressive resolutions should be doable.

I think a fast CPU would be able to keep up the decode stream.  Compared
to the Myth cpu load of encoding and decoding a low-res picture, I'd think
it would be doable.
I agree, but two things come to mind. (1) You need a very fast CPU and high memory bandwidth for software decoding, if you don't use the decoding acceleration functions on the Radeon and GeForce. I'm not sure which Linux applications do or don't take advantage of these features, but for strict software decoding, plan on using one of the fastest CPUs available.

(2) For any video material that needs to be deinterlaced in software (rather than the acceleration functions discussed above), software decoding will give a softer picture than that offered by other solutions. Some of the more sophisticated deinterlacing algorithms take too much CPU on HD, so a less sophisticated algorithm would be used (like simple bob).

I understand there would be some low-level work involved, but given time
I would be willing to assist in a small group to work on it.  I would be
"motivated" to get it working.  Any real interest?
I am willing to assist in pointing out where open source code is available and in putting the right developers in touch with each other to get things done.

That said, I am not a developer, and my main interest is in Windows open source. I don't even have a Linux box.

Regards--

Dan