[linux-dvb] Re: Linux HDTV

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Daniel Schmelzer wrote:

> Hi Mark--
>
> >So this Fusion 878A has been around for awhile; is it really able to
> >capture the whole 20 megabit ATSC stream to disk?  I don't care about
> >playback through the card, just capturing the stream..If so, then the
> >HDTV on Linux problem has been solved already (at least for what I
> >want to do, which is archive ATSC streams).  Which is the preferred
> >878A card to use on Linux?
>
> Yes, the Fusion 878A chip has been around for 3 or 4 years.  About capturing
> the ATSC stream to disk, work would have to be done in this project to
> enable and control the front-end of the card (tuner and demodulator).  Also,
> I don't know status of Peter Hettkamp's code for streaming DVB-S on the
> Pinnacle PCTV Sat, which would have to be repurposed for this task.
>
> The Korean card is the only game in town right now, so the choice is easy.
> ;-)

Like Mark, I don't see the limitation of no direct output from the card
too significant.  Using the GNURadio software to decode the stream and
output to the standard video card, I think that would be all that would be
needed for the basis of a HD PVR.  The video card would have to support
the HD resolutions for output to a HDTV monitor, but many do...
Maybe not all at 1080i, but the progressive resolutions should be doable.

I think a fast CPU would be able to keep up the decode stream.  Compared
to the Myth cpu load of encoding and decoding a low-res picture, I'd think
it would be doable.

I understand there would be some low-level work involved, but given time
I would be willing to assist in a small group to work on it.  I would be
"motivated" to get it working.  Any real interest?

Brian