[linux-dvb] Re: [holger@convergence.de: Re: API changes (was: C/A routing Question)]

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 04:21:09PM +0100, Emard wrote:
> Also some /proc stuff for tuning and routing
> would be nice to have like
>
> echo "12441" > /proc/dvb/adapter0/frontend0/frequency
> echo "H" > /proc/dvb/adapter0/frontend0/polarization
> etc.
>
> so users wouldn't depend too much on (volatile) ioctls
> and precompiled szap binaries...

I don't like it. It would just create a second API, with
lots of problems regarding interaction with the C API.

Some /proc entries would be nice for status and statistics,
e.g. show the number of active filters, maybe count the
TS packets or bytes etc.

But it should be optional (CONFIG_DVB_PROC, we don't need it
on a STB), and the /proc layout should be well thought out
and stable, so one can write "DVB monitor" tools that use it.

I'd rather postpone this discussion until the basics of the
demux API are settled down. For me it's too much at once.

Regards,
Johannes