[linux-dvb] Re: [holger@convergence.de: Re: API changes (was: C/A routing Question)]

> I don't like it. It would just create a second API, with
> lots of problems regarding interaction with the C API.

Alright, just a thougth for the future.

However, automatic registration of the devices will be
good for new kernel, (no more mknod /dev/dvb/.. c 123 45)

Detected devices should present themselves as automatic
filesystem nodes

> Some /proc entries would be nice for status and statistics,
> e.g. show the number of active filters, maybe count the
> TS packets or bytes etc.

Yes, exactly.

> But it should be optional (CONFIG_DVB_PROC, we don't need it
> on a STB), and the /proc layout should be well thought out
> and stable, so one can write "DVB monitor" tools that use it.

Of course, compile time option.

Let this be just a wishlist entry after ioctl cleanup and
global code stabilization regarding insmod/rmmods, 2.5.x
compatibility etc

> I'd rather postpone this discussion until the basics of the
> demux API are settled down. For me it's too much at once.

me too :)