[linux-dvb] Hauppauge

Dear list,

I have bought a Hauppauge DVB-C-card, in the hope it would be usefull for me.
My goal was, to watch and record digital tv on my pc.

The hardware does kind of work, but it is not very comfortable. Sometime in
december I fetched the current cvs-version on linuxtv.org and I can use this
software to bring pictures on my monitor. I have to issue "make insmod" in
DVB/driver, then I can start apps/szap/czap <channel> and if I then start
apps/test/video, I get a picture, which I can only recognize, if I am using
my text-console, which is on a framebuffer. Under X the picture is distorted.
If I want to tune to a different channel, I have to remove the modules and
re-insert them, otherwise the tuning is not successfull (no FE_HAS_LOCK)

My questions are:

Am I with the right mailing list for this kind of problems?

What is a "frontend" in this environment?

Which is the "right" driver to use? I found the cvs at linuxtv.org, I have
seen, that linux 2.5 contains something very similar and I have seen various
other drivers, which seem to differ not too much, so that I am a bit
confused.

Unfortunately it does not work as I wish and I am confused, so I guess I need
some help to get this to work.

Thank you very much in advance
Karl

---- lspci -v reports the following for this card --------

00:0c.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7146 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Technotrend Systemtechnik GmbH: Unknown device 0002
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 32 (3750ns min, 9500ns max)
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
        Region 0: Memory at dffeee00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]