[linux-dvb] Re: [vdr] Re: dxr3/vdr problem

Malcolm Caldwell wrote:

It understand it is related
to BER but how?
Block Errors - or better Uncorrected Block Error Count - is the number of MPEG packets that have not been corrected by the forward error correction unit. These get visible as real artifacts in video or audio.

If I understand correctly my hardware (budget card) can't report the
Block errors at the same time as the bit error rate.  Does this mean
that the packets in the TS are not maked with the
transport_error_indicator bit as mentioned by Johannas?  Or is this bit
worked out some other way?  (I will try to look at the driver later)
no, the transport_error_indicator bit should always get set for uncorrectable packets.

In some setups the RF emissions or instable power supplies of your PC might cause problems,

Do these power supply problems appear any other way?  I would I know if
this was the problem?  Are budget cards susceptible to this kind of
problem? The reason I ask is it would appear that the card can't power
my lnb - it works when I connect through my stand alone receiver's
loop-back connector - but if I turn off the receiver or connect directly
I have problems.
Try to borrow + install a stronger power supply and see if this helps...

Holger