[linux-dvb] Re: Hauppauge

Hello Holger,

Am Donnerstag, 6. März 2003 10:36 schrieb Holger Waechtler:

> > I have bought a Hauppauge DVB-C-card, ...

> > Am I with the right mailing list for this kind of problems?
> kind of.

That is fine. Do you know of a list, which is better suited for my needs?

> > What is a "frontend" in this environment?
>
> The combination of analog tuner and digital demodulator.

Ok, that was the backend from my point of view, so I did not understand some
things very well.

> > Which is the "right" driver to use? I found the cvs at linuxtv.org, I
> > have seen, that linux 2.5 contains something very similar and I have seen
> > various other drivers, which seem to differ not too much, so that I am a
> > bit confused.
>
> Use the (pre-)release tarballs unless you are explicitly willing to
> contribute to development and/or test and debug enw features.

I am using linux-dvb-1.0.0-pre2 at the moment. Loading the drivers does work
and tuning with czap is working too, but sometimes I have to start czap
several times before it locks to the station.

Is there a way to test the different hardware-components and the quality of
the signal, so that I can tell whether I have incompatible or faulty hardware
or just a bad connection?

> > Unfortunately it does not work as I wish and I am confused, so I guess I
> > need some help to get this to work.
>
> you probably want to use a real application, not the driver test
> programs. Take a look on xawtv instead of the video test program, try
> VDR for a real digital video recording application. Browse around in the
> web and the mailing list archives for other useful DVB software.

As you suggested, I tried xawtv and I got a picture under X11 whenever
apps/test/video was showing a picture on my framebuffer-console. I also got
kwintv working with its usual problems for displaying images.

I was unable to switch the channel using these applications and I do not know,
whether I should be able to do so. I still have to test vdr.

Thanks for your help
Karl