[linux-dvb] Re: My DVB-c patch (Re: The drivers and HTV)

Dennis Noordsij wrote:
Ok, I'll postpone applying this patch. You can't simply disable
frequency bending when you have multiple cards in the same box. When

Holger,

Sorry if I wasn't clear :-) I don't know if Jaakko's patch also disables frequency bending. My testing was a combination of parts of the patch and then some.

You should use INVERSION_AUTO if you don't know for sure your providers
inversion settings.

I tried different options, the fixed inversion setting inspired by Jaakko saying "Has anyone ever tested this auto inversion thing? DVB-c is far too slow to tune and lock for this auto inversion code to work. Therefore you
need to manually set it."
Have you tried INVERSION_AUTO? If you experience problems, have you tried to insert some experimental delays in the inversion probing code? Or the lock checking code? Some demods don't report the lock bits reliably, there you have to read back the status register multiple times and let the majority of status bits decide democratically...

That's automatically done by the zigzag scan, another reason not to
disable it. Here in the Berlin cable network we have similiar offsets
from the announced frequency in NITs for some transponders.
It's just that results are not consistent, the zigzag can try a certain frequency many times before finally it locks on to it. Until QAM_128 locking issues in general are resolved the zigzag doesn't really help. (That is not criticism by the way! I know this is a very peculiar setup and only a few people on this list share it and are able to experiment with it. Afaik we do all have these same problems though).
We don't have QAM128 transmissions here, so I can't test them.

But we will accept any patches that are consistent and compatible with other VES1820 based cards and STBs. But it's not good to generally disable things globally that are needed in other setups...

Holger