[linux-dvb] Re: V4 API proposal

Hi Florian,

> Hi,
>
> >I can live with both situations. A reason for having seperate device
> >is that we don't find a straight interface that is suitable for
> >both streamtypes. But if this is possible, and it makes sense, than
> >i don't see a reason why not putting them into one.
> >That the implementations are differnt is not important.
> >At the end it shall demultiplex a media stream.
> >Do you agree ?
>
> Yes i do agree. BUT :-) IMHO combining the two things will
> bloat the API a
> lot. I must admit that i dont have deeper knowledge of e.g.
> DVD/AVPES/..
> Formats but i try to explain:
>
> When routing/demuxing TS you do that based on:
>
> - PID
> - Section filters

Yes you use
 * packet id for single pes streams (audio,video, ...)
 * packet id [+ table id [+ n bytes section header Filter]] for sections
 * additionally you get the PCR on a PID

> When routing/demuxing PS/AVPES/... you do that based on:
>
> - Stream type
> - camera angle
> - language
> - subtitle
> - ...

No you only use

 * streamid for the streams (audio, video ,...) (corresponds to packetid)
 * streamid for program stream map and program stream directory (somehow similar to tables)
 * you additionally get the SCR (like PCR; in case of PS)

Regards,

Thomas