[linux-dvb] Re: OT: What is this item from ebay

Hi Malcom,

On 11 Mar 2003 21:57:06 +0930
Malcolm Caldwell <malcolm.caldwell@ntu.edu.au> wrote:

> This is fairly OT - but I thought someone here might know: what is this
> item that is listed on ebay?
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3405988879&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:1
>
>         "You are bidding on DVB EVS Broadcast Equipment Digital Video
>         Broadcasting (DVB) Input / Output Signal Converter Selectable
>         ASI vs LVDS Input & Output Dual (2) Selectable, ASI / LVDS Input
>         Sources Triple (3) Output Ports ASI / LVDS Dual (2) (Data A Data
>         B) Wide SCSI III Ports 19" Rack mountable Chassis Units are new
>         in the makers boxes. So feel confident to purchase as many as
>         you want. Items are sold with a 3 day warrany after receipt. MA
>         residents please add 5% sales tax. Buyer pays S/H. Payment must
>         be received within 7 days. I accept paypal, money orders, and
>         checks (held for clearance)."
>
> I don't know many of the phrases (ASI, LVDS) etc.  Is this a converter
> that will convert analogue video into some kind of DVB stream?  This is
> obviously broadcast equipment - would this be useful in any kind of home
> setup?

it's a converter between ASI (Mpeg2 stream over an SDI Interface) and LVDS (Low voltage differential SCSI) and is used by EVS own playout server family and also EMC˛ Media Server. I don't think that anybody in this list may need these boxes (expect a few ones like me). It's only used in professional broadcast environments and are a little bit outdatet (therefor the lower price).

  Christoph

Christoph Ackermann                                    ] t e c m a t h [
System Integration Engineer          Content Management Systems Division
phone +49 (0)631 303-5251  Europaallee 10, 67657 Kaiserslautern, Germany
fax   +49 (0)631 303-5209                         http://www.tecmath.com