[linux-dvb] Re: V4 API proposal

Emard:

> I would also suggest the global idea should be
> to try to optimize the api for budget-type cards only,
> and silently discard any onbard mpeg or hardware
> demux as if we already had mpeg2 decoder and descrambler
> in open source either in the kernel or as external application.

Could it be possible to modularize the drivers into
distinct player and source interfaces that do not
depend on each other? Playing would be like
cat /dev/tsreceiver0/source | /dev/mpeg0/sink, I
wonder if there is a way in Linux to do that
with zero copy or otherwise efficiently, which
could allow this separation even when both functions
are implemented by the same chip(set).

Also, are there any rules followed for what goes in
user space or kernel space? For example for the
frontend it seems inconsistent now: diseqc is
user space (you build diseqc command and send
them through a generic "send diseqc command"
API, you could have ioctls for each diseqc function
instead) while the frontend itself is kernel space
(you could have a single i2c device, and do every
frontend stuff in a frontend process or libfrontend
that writes to the i2c device). No change requested
here, I'm just curious how people see that things
should be kernel or user space.

--
franck@nenie.org