[linux-dvb] Re: Linux HDTV

Rene Bartsch writes:
 > > Just announce here when you get something working and when you want to
 > > incorporate your driver in the LinuxDVB project. Contact me or Johannes
 > > (offlist) when you need a LinuxTV CVS account.
 > >

 > Would it be possible to extend the DVB-S firmware for HDTV (ARM fast
 > enough, necessary functions available on closed TI-code)?

The 40 MHz ARM 7 core (no cache, no MMU, ...) of the AV7110 certainly
could not do it. MPEG picture decoding is done on another DSP on the
AV7110 (there are several on the AV7110, one for video, one for sound,
one for TS transfer handling, etc.).
You could probably find out if the decoder is a well known TI DSP and
reprogram the MPEG microcode but I doubt it would be fast enough for
high resolutions.
The memory (you know, the one which is already too small to allow for
decent OSD) would also not be sufficient. And what do you do with the decoded
picture? Too big for PAL, too big for SAA7146 video input, too big for
DEBI transfers ...

Ralph